NYS DOT TEP Award Granted

The City of Oneida’s application was successful! The ORT was 1 of only 63 projects statewide to be selected and will receive $545,830 for the development of this 3.1 mile segment.

In August 2013, the City of Oneida partnered with Madison County to submit an application to the NYS DOT Transportation Enhancement Program for a 3.1 mile section of the ORT.

This 3.1 mile segment of the ORT extends from N. Willow St in Oneida along the NY Central Railbed and will connect northwest through Wampsville to the NYS Erie Canalway trail.

Proposed improvements include a fully handicapped accessible stone dust trail, restoration of a historic rail bridge, trailheads, and signage.

Prior to construction, design work and environmental review will have to be complete. NYS DOT states it is usually two years between TEP funding approval and the start of construction.

Background on TEP

The Transportation Enhancement Program (TEP) is a federal reimbursement program administered in New York by NYS DOT. TEP funding is dedicated for strategic investments in non-motorized transportation alternatives.

The intent of the program is to encourage tourism and economic development opportunities Statewide. The funds cover up to 80 percent of the cost of a project, with the remaining 20 percent or more coming from the project sponsor.

2014 Master Plan

2014 Oneida Rail Trail Master Plan

Click the map to download a PDF version (9.6 MB)